Thursday, January 12, 2012

christmastime


ok, so I know I've been a lazy bum and haven't really talked about Christmas yet. BUT I am, finally and I have a million pictures. Starting with our tree!


Every year I kind of sort of pick a theme for decorating, but I end up using most of the same stuff. Usually I just switch up some basic colored balls and buy a few new ornaments, but mostly use the same old ones year to year. I like things that are sentimental or meaningful or funny. These year I kind of focused on a folk-art/Nordic style. Plain white lights and lots of handmade ornaments. I bought more than I should have, but got some really pretty things.



We always do stockings and open presents at our house in the morning before we get dressed, so I usually wear something cute and Christmas-y. I got this cute shirt at Target a day or two before. We didn't go too all out with presents this year, instead just getting a few nice things each. I also made some really tasty french toast using a walnut bread. I don't eat breakfast most of the time (a habit I'm trying to change!) so breakfast is always kind of special, no matter what it is. The walnut bread definitely made this extra yum, adding nuttiness and texture.



And, if french toast isn't decadent enough, I had one of Amanda's delicious gingerbread man cookies. (And how cute is the polka dot decoration? Adorable!) She makes the best gingerbread. After our little family Christmas, we headed over to my stepdad's sister's, where we always do the big family thing. He has a big family so it's busy and crazy and so much fun. His other sister, the one who lives in Denmark now, even came, although she got stuck at the airport for a bit.

sweaterdress - yesstyle, wool tights - mp, shoes - jeffrey campbell, giant scarf - gift

I bought this sweater last year and absolutely love it. With thick tights or leggings, it's a dress. At work, with pants, it's a sweater. It's cozy and cute, and my beloved nordic pattern. Yeah, I might be a little obsessed. I also absolutely adore this giant knit scarf in brick red. My aunt gave it to my mom...the year before last? But she doesn't wear it much, so I've kind of adopted it.



Our power went out Christmas morning, after we opened presents and everything, and it was still out when we got home. Justina and I decided to drive/walk around the neighborhoods in town (where they had power) and look at Christmas lights because we skipped that usual before-Christmas tradition. It was pretty and nice, especially since I always get bored in the evening on holidays. It's like, after you do all the stuff you're supposed to do, you don't want to just do something boring like watch tv, you want something festive still! I took a lot of pictures, including of this cool light teepee, the cat we met, and weird long exposure experimental ones.









I bundled up pretty hardcore because it was real cold, and I also slipped a few mini bottles of whiskey in my coat pocket to sip while wandering around looking at the lights. A co-worker gave them to me as part of a present. She bought a whole bag full of mini liquor bottles to give out and when she bought them it was the FIRST time she'd ever been in a liquor store. Can you believe that?? She's not super young or anything, she has a granddaughter!



Christmas eve J and I thought about going to a FabDownBros show but decided to stick with our usual JAR hangout and gift exchange. Amanda and I both got each other perfume, which I thought was pretty funny. I guess it makes sense, since we try them out together, so we know what each other likes. She also got the cutest gnome lamp from J, who gave me an adorable tote bag with a print of the bookcover for A Clockwork Orange from Out of Print. (Totally want like all their shirts!) And how cute does A look?? She was dressed up for Christmas and I just love that dress.





Some of my favorite gifts this year! Lola by Marc Jacobs perfume, a sparkly star shaped clutch from Modcloth, the literary tote Justina gave me, some socks my mom knit me, nice soap (Andy always gives soap to everyone), and a handmade frame with a Edward S. Curtis photo. I also got a cute wool skirt and funky hamper sort of thing from Riley, a scarf from my grandma, and some other things I forget.

Well...Christmas is long over but I hope yours was just as fabulous as mine. It all seemed to go so fast this year, I must remember to slow down and enjoy it more next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment