Friday, February 4, 2011

Picasso at the SAM


sweater - stepdad's, jeans - urban outfitters, boots - thrifted, purse - thrifted coach, glasses - zenni optical, lipstick - revlon really red 

I went to the Seattle Art Museum with my mom, grandparents, and family friend/mentor right before Christmas to see the Picasso exhibit. It was incredible. Our family friend is an artist and probably one of the best people I could have gone with. We spent hours, really taking our time, which might have been a little annoying to my family since they got done so much earlier than we did. But I wanted to look at every single painting, drawing, print, and sculpture. 

My favorite has always been his cubist period, with those dark, monochromatic palettes and geometric angles. But seeing things in person got me a lot more interested in some of his brightly colored works and more organic forms. It's amazing that one artist was able to work in so many different styles. I think most interesting of all where the sketches and prints. In those, you could see elements of later paintings and, I felt, get a deeper view of his process. They're also not something you see as often, so it was cool to have that opportunity.

We got there a little early and had some time to look around the rest of the museum. We looked at a little bit of African art, but I mainly stayed in the modern section. I think even as a kid, that was my favorite part. The museum has been updated and expanded in the last couple years and I really do love the redesign, but it's nice to see old favorites too. I remember this Rauschenberg from long before, when the museum was just a dinky little thing and it was easy to see everything in a day. I don't think you can really do that anymore, unless you go real fast maybe.


These pieces are by a woman name Cris Brodahl and I thought they were really amazing. She uses something called chemical porcelain and also uses the same technique in her paintings, creating these cool raised layers. I didn't have as much time to look at her work as I would have liked because right after we discovered this gallery, it was time to line up to get into the Picasso exhibit. So I just snapped these quick pictures, but hopefully I'll see more of her work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment