Wednesday, May 16, 2012

artificial light


Anderson Park in Redmond has been the site of a rather wonderful art installation by fiber artist Suzanne Tidwell. It's been up for a few months and is coming down in a couple weeks, but I only just made it over there to take photos today. I drive by it nearly every day and it is delightful, but getting out of the car and wandering through the colored forest felt a bit like a fairytale. As I took pictures, I started thinking that each of the yarnbombed trees had a bit of an individual personality. I especially liked the slightly damaged ones, the ones you could see the effects of weather on. Holes and blobs of sap caught my attention and really brought home the contrast between nature and human creation.

I think I was dressed rather appropriately, don't you think? I've been housesitting and ran out of clean clothes but I didn't want to drive home, so I just went shopping. The stripey tank and yellow shrug got me in such a summery mood, I also picked a new nail color--Essie's Meet Me At Sunset. Also, I finally picked up a bottle of Seche Vite, and I love it. It works so well! My nails have never looked this good.

While I was taking pictures, a group of ladies where knitting at a picnic table. As I walked by, we did the nod and mumble hi thing you do with strangers in parks, and just as I was passing by, I realized I knew the woman sitting at the far side of the table. She owned this fabulous diner in town when I was a baby and is a long time family friend. So I ran around the table and hugged her, and luckily she recognized me too! That could have been awkward. Then, when I was walking back to my car, this guy playing ball with his kids asked me if I was a photographer and we ended up talking about art and photography and cameras for quite some time. He had studied in New York and was a big fan of Scott Schuman of The Sartorialist. He was kind of surprised that I knew his work as well, and got really excited. Connections with people like that, when they're so unexpected, whether seeing someone you used to know or discovering a shared passion with a stranger, are so cool.



shirt & shrug - target, jeans - gap, moccasins - minnetonka


meet me at sunset - essie




No comments:

Post a Comment