Monday, January 28, 2013

a few of my favorite things


This image is powerful on its own, but be sure to read this brief description by the photographer. I think it's really helpful to examine what kind of judgments we make based on women's clothing choices. These judgments can be really harmful and the way we dress has nothing to do with our moral character, intelligence, or worth as a human being.

I love the science snippets Annika at The Pineneedle Collective includes in her outfit posts and this list of fake science facts is particularly good.

I read an excellent short story by Elizabeth Barker earlier this week, while sitting on my back porch smoking a cigarette with glitter covered fingers. Other than the fact that the story is a summer one and it was cold and dark and very much a winter night, it was perfect. And then the next day I got a splinter at work and thought of this story and I didn't really mind that it hurt.

Melancholy pieces like this one from the Frenemy have really been resonating with me lately. I might be in a funk but sometimes it's good to listen to sad songs and feel everything so hard it hurts.

You should definitely read this history of sequins from the Smithsonian. They used to make them out of gelatin! Which would melt if it got wet or hot, so like, if your dance partner was nervous and had sweaty hands, he could leave sequin-less handprints all over your sparkly dress.

I really need to get better about writing thank you notes. When I do it, I do it well, but I often procrastinate past the point of politeness and then feel awkward. But remembering how my best friend's mom called me "such a nice girl" when I sent her a quick note thanking her for allowing me to crash their thanksgiving dinner when I was a holiday orphan makes me want to write them all the time.

It doesn't appear that she's posted in awhile, but I love Erin's style on Work With What You've Got. It's kind of exactly what I want to wear in the summer, when I get sick of twee sundresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment