Tuesday, April 21, 2009

cutoffs and cocktails





I know it's been a long time since I've written. First, I'd like to mention for those of you who've been reading and have heard about my friend Alex, who is in the hospital, that she is doing much better. She is either going into rehab for 50 days or going home in the next week. I visited a few days ago and she has a lot more use of her arms and legs and her spirits are much better. It was really happy.







Anyways, on Friday my friend Aly and her roommates had a party with a required dresscode of cutoff jean shorts. Justina and I went into Seattle earlier in the afternoon because we wanted to catch this band playing at Cafe Vita, but unfortunately we missed them. We met up with Amanda and hung out in the park for hours. The weather was gorgeous.




shirt - thrifted, shorts - diy, shoes - converse, sunglasses - target

Our weather has been beautiful for the past few days. Today I even put on my bathing suit and laid out in the sun for awhile. I also went for a lovely walk with Justina and her mom down by the river and did some gardening. I'm trying to grow more herbs this year. And my mom is growing lots of veggies. Tomatoes, leeks, lettuce, cabbage, and I don't know what else. God, I love gardens. I love in the summer going out right before dinner is ready to pick some lettuce and tomatoes for a quick salad.





The park was great people watching on Friday. I'm not sure what this park is called, but it's the one on Capitol Hill with the fountain. I took some pictures there for Beginning Photo. (Which reminds me, I still haven't picked up my work from last quarter. I'll post that once I get it.) There was a girl teaching a hula hoop class, a group of little kids rolling down the hill, some people flying kites, and a group of hipsters with a boombox getting high. Among others. Those were just the people immediately surrounding us.







Once we got sick of the park (after several hours) we headed to the U District to meet up with Shane. He still didn't have his cutoffs for that night, so we walked to Goodwill and helped him pick out some jeans. (He so doesn't know how to shop in a thrift store. It was really funny to see him slowly going through the rack, not even in his size. I had to take over for him, and we basically picked out the jeans for him. They had a pretty hilarious Aztec looking tag on the waistband.) Then we got some food at Memo's (a Mexican fast food place on the Ave, it's cheap and usually good but don't get the enchiladas) and went back to Shane's dorm to eat and help him make his cutoffs.







After all this, the party itself was less awesome than the rest of the day. It was fun, but there was some drama with some people that weren't supposed to be there that everyone hated, and some guy kicked a hole in the wall. (I've offered to try to patch it for them, since I have some drywall experience.) Everyone's cutoffs were pretty nice. I was impressed with how short most of the guys were willing to go, but then again, there were several gay dudes there. Even Shane didn't wuss out and make them too long. Mine were pretty long, but whatever. I'm glad I didn't make them gross short like so many girls wear them. Totally not me.











These particular shorts I actually made several years ago, on the way to Eastern Washington to go camping with some friends. I think we were somewhere across the mountains when we stopped at a rest stop. I was way too hot, so I chopped off the legs of my jeans in the parking lot. There were actually two others at the party who were pretty much my exact twins. Cutoffs, duh, but also red flannels. One was Aly's roommate Becky, and the other was our friend Gary. Both were quite drunk, ha, while I was not.



1 comment: